Thursday, September 23, 2010
1. Washington, D.C. The four condemned conspirators (Mrs. Surratt, Payne, Herold, Atzerodt), with officers and others on the scaffold; guards on the wall
2. Washington, D.C. Gen. John F. Hartranft reading the death warrant to the conspirators on the scaffold
3. Washington, D.C. Adjusting the ropes for hanging the conspirators
4. Washington, D.C. Hanging hooded bodies of the four conspirators; crowd departing
5. Washington, D.C. Coffins and open graves ready for the conspirators' bodies at right of scaffold
Alexander Gardner, July 7, 1865.